Please click on the links below to find our more about our village enhancement project.
GET IN TOUCH
The village enhancement projects have played an integral role in the regeneration of the Mayo Abbey Community and have contributed greatly to the sustainability of the village and its surrounds. The enhancement work has helped develop a renewed sense of pride in the village and has connected all amenities and facilities in the village. Staff on the Community Employment Scheme and Rural Social Scheme have been critical to the success of the village enhancement project.
The village enhancement works have been completed by working with our partners including:
- Mayo County Council
- Department of Social Protection (CE Scheme staff)
- South West Mayo Leader Company
- Working with Eircom re: putting telephone lines underground
Works completed to date
Works carried out include:
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co. to develop a new village sewage system which will serve the village housing development needs into the future – this is now in place
- Supported many local community group water schemes with maintenance on their pumping stations
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co. Connection to Lough Mask water supply
- Built in excess of 500 meters of stone walls as well as some block walls
- Worked with Eircom to get the phone lines put underground
- Working with Mayo Co. Co. to organise road widening at various points coming into the village
- Landscaping village green areas
- Restoration of old buildings in the community
- Village enhancement works at Facefield
- Restoration of 13 Marian Grottos in the community
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co. to develop new foot paths in the community which links all the community projects with the Church, school, Mayo Gaels football pitch and walkway, shop and pub
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co. to develop and complete a major lighting scheme for the village
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co. to develop a pedestrian crossing on the main road through the village which serves to link the footpaths to the school with those to the shop, as well as providing a means of slowing down traffic through the village
- Worked with the Heritage Committee and our other partners to complete restoration and renovation works on the Famine Church
- Worked with the Heritage Committee to complete restoration works on the Old School House beside the Old Church
- Working to complete the Resource Centre
- Working to renovate and redevelop the old parochial house into facilities and offices which complement the Resource Centre
- Organized Michael Durkan to do the mapping of the graveyard and develop an information board which is now onsite.
- Worked with Mayo Co. Co., Christina Mannion (SWMDC) & RSS staff to get new footpaths in the final plot of the graveyard.
Gallery – Enhancement
Gallery – Grottos