To find out more about Abbey Tots Childcare, its services and background, please click on the links below.
A committee was set up to look at developing childcare in the community and Mayo Abbey Community Childcare Services was established. In June 2001, the Creche was opened with 3 babies and 2 full time staff, and in September 2001, the playschool was opened with 5 children. The services were housed in the Resource Centre.
As demand grew, the committee applied for a capital grant in order to build a dedicated childcare centre. EOCP funding for this was approved in 2005 and works commenced in 2006. The new facility officially opened in 2008 and was called Abbey Tots.
The service has blossomed dramatically since and is now catering for up to 70 children from 4 months up to 12 years old in five strands – babies, wobblers, toddlers, preschool and afterschool service for National School Children.
A breakfast can be provided for school going children with the Local Link bus collecting them and bringing them to the National School after breakfast. The bus also has 2 collection times from the National School and brings the children back to the creche where a nutritious meal is waiting for them. These services offer parents a childcare facility, at affordable prices, enabling them to take up work opportunities they might otherwise be unable to take up.
Over the years, it became evident that the interests of Abbey Tots would be best served by Abbey Tots having its own legal structure and in 2019, with support from Mayo Abbey Parish Community Development Company, Abbey Tots became a company in its own right.
The company is managed by a voluntary committee who are responsible for the day to day running of the service. The amount of effort that has been put into developing ‘Abbey Tots’ is immeasurable it is a wonderful example of teamwork with parents, staff, committee and children together, coupled with community involvement drawing on various links and groups within the parish and county.
Abbey Tots provide a wide range of services catering for children from 4 months to 12 years old.
- Full day care from 4 months old
- Breakfast Club and afer school service for pupils attending school
- Three full days / 2 full days – subject to availability
Please contact us for information about various government schemes which may provide support to parents enabling them to access childcare at a reduced cost. These schemes include:
- The National Childcare Scheme launched in November 2019. Under the scheme, subsidies are available to help parents meet the cost of quality childcare. Subsidies are available to families with children aged between 6 months (24 weeks) and 15 years who are attending any participating Tusla registered childcare service, including Tusla registered childminders and school aged childcare services. Detailed information on the supports available can be found on the National Childcare Scheme website.
- The Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) Scheme provides early childhood care and education for children of pre-school age. Abbey Tots offer places under this scheme – please contact us for further information.
Abbey Tots is a member of Early Childhood Ireland and is registered with Tusla.