Heritage > Heritage Group
Mayo Abbey Heritage group was formed in 1993 and is affiliated to Museums of Mayo and the Tóchar Valley Network.
To research, preserve, promote the Historical and Archaeological Heritage of Mayo Abbey.
To preserve, refurbish St. Colman's Church (known as the famine church) to utilise it as a focal point of the Heritage Village and the parish of Mayo Abbey. To preserve the existing roofed structure, as near its original state as possible.
The present members are, Eddie Barrett, Mary Jo. Barrett, Fr. Austin Fergus. P.P. Jimmy Finn, Ger Maguire, Joseph Ruane, Paddy Gibbons , Martin Flatley, Shane Adams, T.J. Wilson, Martin Dunne.
Previous members included; Joe Brett, Michael Hambly, Christy Dunne, Geraldine Joyce, Isidoe Joyce and Kevin Barton.
The group meet monthly (or as needed) and among their many achievements have been the securing FÁS Community Response scheme which over a five year period researched the history of the area, securing funding, reopened transnational links with Iona (Scotland) and Northumbria (England) which dated back to the seventh century. Held two international conferences in 1995-96 which brought together archaeologists and historians from universities in Scotland, England and Ireland.
Worked with Kilmartin House Museum, Scotland in building a cowhide and hazel-
framed Corricle which was sailed to Iona as part of the 1997 ceremonies to
commemorate the 1400 Anniv of the death of Colmcille.
The Heritage Committee members were closely involved in the building of Bishop O' Healy Centre. The committee produced the storyboards, which provide an impressive introduction for visitors to the centre and also has completed a 15 min.
The Committee has been working with Fr. Austin Fergus over the last few years to ensure the protection and preservation of the Famine Church. The structure has been re-roofed, the stain glass windows repaired and restored, replacing of external doors and floodlighting is now in place. This was made possible by grants from the National Millennium Committee, Mayo County Council and Social and Economical fund. This work is part of a longer-term plan to utilise the Famine Church as a focus for Heritage Tourism in the parish.
The group are at present at the completion stage of plans for the old school house and the interior of the church. Grants have been received from Mayo County Council towards both projects. Their aim in the future is to secure Mayo Abbey's place in the ecclesiastical history of our country.
Projects have been supported by South West Mayo Leader Co., FÁS, County Enterprise Board, Mayo County Council, Dept. of the Environment, National Millennium Committee, Archdiocese of Tuam.
As the name implies, St. Colman's Church was built in the 1840's and officially opened in 1845. It remained the parish church until 1978, when a new church was officially opened in the village.
The Famine Church is located in the centre of the village and stands on the ruins of a line of churches and monasteries stretching back to the 7th century